Hey Bob, how you wanna Kebab?… Ok, Mr. Squeeze has a quirky sense of humor at times! Seriously, a kebab can be anything you want it to be. Shrimp, Salmon, Chicken… Well, you get the idea. For this tasty dinner, we used succulent rib-eye as I love tender meat like no other girl on the planet. The Chinese garlic sauce added a heavenly drizzle over this healthy number.
I’d say experiment and try different sources of protein that feed your passion. Just be sure and soak your skewers or do like me and pick up a few FUN skewers that you can wrap around the grill plate of your Big Green Egg.
Steak Kebabs with Chinese Garlic Sauce
- The Big Green Egg
- 1 lb rib eye
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 6 oz cherry tomatoes
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chinese Garlic Sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp chinese rice wine
- ½ tsp gochujang
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic finely grated (use a Microplane)
- Have ready 5 or 6 skewers. If you are using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 20 minutes prior to grilling. This will slow the char and burning of the wood.
- Big Green Egg setup:Fill your firebox with natural lump charcoal and prepare your Big Green Egg for direct grilling. The target grilling temperature is about 425°F (220°C) as indicated on your dome thermometer. Both the bottom vent and daisy wheel should be open about 50 percent, but small adjustments might be required. You want to create a mature fire with no flame. If you allow your Big Green Egg to burn at its target temperature, in this case, 425°F (220°C), for at least 10 minutes, all the lit coals should be glowing orange without a flame—this is your indication that you have built a mature fire.
- Cut the rib eye, onion, and bell pepper into cubes. Thread the steak, onion, and pepper cubes and the tomatoes onto skewers. Brush the kebabs with extra virgin olive oil and season all sides with salt and black pepper. Set aside until ready to grill.
- Once the kebabs have been grilled all the way around, brush with the Chinese garlic sauce and repeat, grilling on each side until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 135°F (57°C).Place the kebabs in the middle of the hot grill. Cook, rotating every 2 minutes.
- Once the kebabs have been grilled all the way around, brush with the Chinese garlic sauce and repeat, grilling on each side until the steak reaches an internal temperature of 135°F (57°C).