When making pizza on the BGE, I envision I’m living in a small town in Italy near the Emerald island and I am the mistress with my little apron waving my pizza stone welcoming those around me to come sit and enjoy. The experience leaves me giggling and Mr. Squeeze loves my Italian accent and regularly requests “pineapple and Canadian bacon” on his pizza pie. LOL…
What I’ve learned most about cooking pizza on the Big Green Egg is it’s all about the dough baby! I personally love Trader Joes hand-rolled dough, it’s easy and cooks up perfectly. The ceramic walls of the dome of the BGE make cooking with indirect heat and a pizza stone the perfect Italian experience!!! What I love most about pizza is you can be a meat-lover or vegetarian and your meal is unique to your individual taste. Pizza on the BGE creates a crispy base and delicious melt in your mouth toppings, which is heaven in your mouth!
Fire Grilled Pizza Big Green Egg
- Big Green Egg
- Big Green Egg Pizza Stone
- Rubber spatula
- Pizza Cutter
- Pastry brush
- 1 pizza dough Trader Joes
- flour for dusting
- 1½ tbsp fresh basil (stems removed)
- 1½ tsp fresh oregano (stems removed)
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce
- 12 pepperoni
- 1/2 cup mild sausage
- fresh veggies bell peppers
- 1 small can black olives
- Add lump charcoal to the Big Green Egg, filling to the first line. Tuck a natural charcoal starter into the charcoal and light it. Let it burn for about 10 minutes with the lid open.Place the plate setter in the grill, feet down. Add the grid plate and pizza stone to the egg.Close the lid. Leave both vents fully open and preheat to 500-700 degrees F.
- Sprinkle your pizza paddle with corn meal so the dough won't stick, move quickly and your sauce, cheese and toppings of your choice.Slide the pizza onto the pizza stone. The BGE will super hot, so the dough will stick to the stone right away.
- Close the lid and bake. After about 8-10 minutes, sneak a peek. If your grill reached 700F degrees, it’s probably almost done. Look for bubbly cheese and a golden crust.Use the paddle to remove the pizza from the grill. Slice and serve.